MB L 406 box van 'Westmilch'
Riding with Lotti the Cow: Düsseldorf transporter as a school milk express
The second generation of this transporter from Düsseldorf was to quickly leave its predecessor, the L 319, in the dust in terms of appreciation and market penetration. Mercedes-Benz had launched the L 406 as a new series in 1967, bringing it in line with the look of their generation of cubic vehicles. This transporter was to be widely used as a bread-and-butter vehicle long into the eighties. It goes without saying that it also made generations of pupils happy to see the white Westmilch vehicle with Lotti the Cow on its flank pull up on their school yard every morning to deliver their school milk. After taking over production from DKW Düsseldorf, Mercedes-Benz landed an immediate hit when they presented their first light duty transporter in 1955. The Mercedes-Benz L 319 was reputed to offer substantially more space than the competition, a reputation that was solidified by the second generation, the L 406. The Sprinter was later to follow in its footsteps.
Milk deliveries in the west
Body pearl white, chassis with radiator grille blue, front seats pigeon blue. Wheels black. Radiator grille with silver-painted Mercedes-Benz star. Red negative lettering Westmilch at the front, sides, and rear. Front indicators imprinted orange. On the sides, additional Lotti the Cow logo along with the slogan fresh gourmet food from milk with striped lettering in blue / negative blue. Door handles on the side and at the rear black. Hand-painted headlamps. Tail lights imprinted red.